Mar 10, 2020
Over the next two weeks, we will
be talking to women who were suddenly faced with a decision. Maybe
the decision came after years of being at a dead-end job, and they
simply had had enough. Maybe, it came after a divorce. We will be
talking to these women who found themselves having to make a choice
about what will be next. What will they do? Will they live? Will
they die? Will they get stuck? Will they continue waking up every
day putting one foot in front of the other? There are some really
powerful and relatable stories coming your way over the next couple
Our Guest today had no idea what
she was in for. Denise Walsh was a clinical psychologist at a local
community health clinic for five years. Denise loves people and
likes helping people. She soon realized that in that environment,
it was more about the paperwork and the policies then it was about
the people. Denise left there and now serves people in a way that
she has always dreamed about. She encourages people to take action
on their God-sized dreams. For me, this podcast turned into a
therapy session. Denise is a business coach and has a heart for
kicking your butt and helping you grow. She teaches the skills to
design your dream life and knows we can truly thrive in all areas
of our lives.
- [03:35] Denise got her Masters in Clinical
Psychology from Wheaton College. Throughout high school, she was a
counselor at a youth group mission camp.
- [04:16] She then worked with foster kids in New
York City. She fell in love with those kids. They were in and out
of homes and certainly had traumatic experiences and didn't realize
their own potential.
- [05:04] She then got a job working in community
health, and it turned out to be a burnout experience. She was
overworked and underpaid. She worked with a population that didn't
really want help. Her passion for her career and life was starting
- [06:16] She knew she needed to find something
different and became a distributor for a health and wellness
company. Over the past 13 years, she has built a worldwide team and
impacted people in a way that she never could at her previous
- [08:08] She helps people figure out what they
want and create an action plan to get it. We can't make a pivot if
we're not clear about what we want.
- [09:54] You can thrive in your family and in
your business. You don't have to choose.
- [10:19] Sometimes we get intimidated by
God-sized goals and self-sabotage ourselves.
- [12:37] It's that one step in front of the
other that leads to the next step. When we take steps the next one
- [14:37] When you tap into your passion and
excitement, it's natural for you. You'll find the energy and the
courage to take the next step.
- [15:56] Get clear on what you want in the seven
areas of life which are family, friendship, finances, health,
hobbies, business, and giving back. Write where you are now and
then imagine what it would be like if it were a 10.
- [17:13] Once you know your priorities, you can
actually go out and do them. Put it on your calendar.
- [19:33] Find the goal you want to make happen
and rearrange your schedule to do so. Know what you're going to do
- [21:21] Be intentional with your time and ask
for help. It's okay to say no to things.
- [24:45] Setting your internal GPS is deciding
what goal is next for you and speaking life into it. Talk about it
in a way that it is happening.
- [26:01] Melissa wants to find the time to work
on her next book. Denise helps her work through setting her
- [28:18] Watch out for limiting beliefs and
- [30:53] Melissa wants to live in a way where
she has things to offer the world. She doesn't want to just drift.
She wants to have a plan.
- [31:45] Denise shares a couple of inspirational
stories of people that she has coached.
- [35:34] Be intentional with the gifts that God
has given you and say yes to that spark everyday.
- [36:52] Denise also has a workbook that will
help you really dig deep.
- [39:30] Your kids can learn from you that they
can love life and reach their goals.
- [40:36] Denise tackles the lightning round
Thanks for joining us on
Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be sure to
subscribe to our podcast on
iTunes and leave a nice
review. Just like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: