Aug 14, 2018
School is starting, and I’m nervous. Remi is starting middle
school. I’m not worried about Remi, I know that she can handle
herself. I’m actually worried about how I have done with Remi.
There comes a time when we throw are children out into the deep end
and see if they can swim. Have we said the right things? Have we
taught our children to rescue themselves and to rescue
Kids are growing up faster than ever. Changing one kid at a time
can help change the culture. My good friend and hairdresser Wendy
is on the show today. She has a beautiful and vivacious daughter
named Christian who experienced severe bullying at a new school.
Wendy shares their story and how they overcame it through the power
of forgiveness and God.
You can find Melissa here:
- [05:35] Wendy is Melissa's hairdresser and they have known each
other for 10 years.
- [07:23] Wendy and her husband were in Lufkin for 18 years. They
decided to move, so her husband could find work.
- [08:17] They moved in the middle of the school year when
Wendy's daughter was in the ninth grade.
- [09:09] Wendy thought the smaller school district would be
- [10:14] Christian was 15 and Wendy began to notice some changes
- [11:01] Christian wasn't making friends, and she stopped doing
her hair, wearing makeup, and wearing cute clothes.
- [12:09] Wendy noticed changes in Christian.
- [12:46] Her grades started to slip.
- [13:36] Wendy started talking to teachers and
- [14:34] Christian saw a professional counselor. She also
started her mad journal with her mad feelings.
- [16:19] Everything culminated the day the principal called
Wendy and said that Christian has Saturday detention.
- [17:43] Christian said to Wendy, I need for you to love me and
listen to me.
- [18:59] Christian was being bullied by a group of girls at
school. The video was on Instagram.
- [20:07] She was confronted with the mob mentality. They swarmed
her and Christian was crying. She never stopped listening. She knew
in the grand scheme of things that these people didn't
- [23:11] In the video, Christian was alone against the entire
- [24:55] Are kids can't be superheroes all the time, but they
shouldn't be part of the mob.
- [25:36] Wendy did not want Christian to be a
- [26:34] Wendy knew she had to talk to the principle with a calm
- [27:41] Wendy wants her kids to be able to deal with
situations. She didn't want her kid to be the one causing
- [28:38] It's a fine line to walk as a parent. Be real, but
don't be blind to what is happening.
- [30:02] Living by the holy spirit and living by the
- [31:21] A mother's love is so great, but we have to listen to
the holy spirit.
- [31:59] The school district gave them a lot of
- [32:42] Christian wanted to go back to the Lufkin school
district. She is living with family in Lufkin.
- [33:22] She is happy and healthy and doing
- [34:13] Christian decided she needed to forgive the bully who
- [36:59] Bullying can break you and change you. You need to
decide how you are going to built back up.
- [37:51] Christian is not going to be the victim, and she is now
an anti-bullying advocate and a great friend.
- [39:51] Lightning round…
- [41:05] Melissa wants to raise not only a good swimmer, but a
Thanks for joining us on Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be
sure to subscribe
to our podcast on iTunes and leave a nice review. Just
like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: