Jun 19, 2018
As most of you know, I have a daughter named Remi. This episode
is about another Remi, and her amazing family. Crystal Sepulvado is
a wife, mother, and nurse practitioner who had her faith shaken to
the core when her now nine month old daughter Remi was born eight
weeks early with multiple health problems requiring multiple
I am excited about this inspiring interview. Another thing I am
excited about is that my book Eat Cake. Be Brave. is being
released on July 17th. In honor of my book release, I will be
reading excerpts from the book that apply to each podcast. This one
is especially pertinent. I’m reading When Hope Is Your
Name which is a letter I wrote to my daughter Remi.
Crystal is an inspiring woman, wife, and mother. She shares her
family's story of Remi being born. She not only shares the multiple
challenges she faced, but she shares how hope and faith kept her
going. Crystal is a woman of unwavering faith and an inspiration
and a help to others.
You can find Melissa here:
- [03:23] When Hope Is Your Name - Book excerpt. Eat
Cake. Be Brave.
- [06:27] Crystal saw her son at the ball field hanging out with
Melissa's daughter Remi.
- [08:07] Crystal and her husband Shane were married 10 years
ago. They have three children. She was born and raised in the
Hudson and Lufkin area.
- [09:14] Melissa and Crystal both like the double R names.
- [09:52] Crystal's daughter Remi is nine months old, and this is
- [10:20] Crystal is a nurse practitioner who works in women's
- [10:51] Crystal had an ultrasound and discovered that there was
fluid around Remi's heart.
- [12:22] It was so serious, Crystal saw a specialist on the next
- [13:14] They found out that Remi had a very serious heart
defect. She also had fluid building up in her heart.
- [14:47] Crystal shares her experience of getting the diagnostic
cardiac ultrasounds. The long period in that dark chamber is where
her faith started to kick in.
- [17:25] Double bubble is narrowing or closure of the intestine.
Fluid was building up on Crystal. All of the fluid put Crystal into
- [19:11] She went into delivery eight weeks early, and Remi had
a heart defect and a small bowel problem.
- [19:37] Crystal had so many fears including the concern of Remi
having an incision scar down her chest.
- [20:14] She had an emergency C-section. Remi also had a
fistula, so she was facing three surgeries.
- [22:39] Crystal was still in the hospital, but she had a
FaceTime session with the surgeon and in spite of it being life or
death, they were able to correct all three things.
- [24:11] Shane refused to believe that there would be any other
outcome than Remi's surgery coming out perfect.
- [25:01] How worship music is lifesaving.
- [25:39] Crystal was discharged from the hospital, so that she
could go see her baby.
- [27:25] Crystal had to go get her son ready for his first day
of school. As she was leaving the hospital, Remi coded on the
- [27:41] They went through several weeks of ups and downs. The
holes in Remi's heart were fairly big, and she had a lot of trouble
breathing on her own.
- [28:18] It was finally time for the dreaded open-heart surgery.
As it turned out, this was one of the easier surgeries that they
- [29:06] After leaving the hospital, they found out that Remi
had softening of the trachea.
- [29:28] They faced so many challenges. One thing after another
- [30:18] Everyday, Crystal was scared to death. It's okay to be
vulnerable and feel those things, but you can't stay there.
- [31:35] They had to start speaking life over death and now they
have their sweet Remi.
- [34:31] In situations like this things don't come immediately,
and Crystal had to learn patience. She learned patience, and she
had to have faith.
- [36:33] Crystal knew this wasn't God's fault. She knew if she
continued to have faith, that things would turn around for His
- [37:11] She stuck to scripture and believing in the lord.
- [38:02] How faith helps you to get through to the next day.
Crystal also had laminated cards with scripture everywhere.
- [38:22] She wrote her testimony and her story in a
- [39:36] The biggest thing she learned from this experience was
to have faith.
- [41:43] If you're struggling or going through a dilemma, find
someone else going through that dilemma and help them. Praying and
faith helps families during these trying times.
- [42:41] If you can help someone else through a situation,
things will turn around for you.
- [43:01] Crystal believed that they were placed their divinely
for some of the other families.
- [43:42] God knew what Crystal needed, but he also knew that she
could help someone else and that would renew her.
- [45:16] How God always completes the picture.
- [46:40] God was preparing Crystal to help other women and
parents in need. This story will give women hope to pray.
- [47:21] Don't stop believing and don't stop praying.
- [49:07] The lightning round…
- [51:33] The closing of the When Hope Is Your Name
Thanks for joining us on Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be
subscribe to our podcast on iTunes and leave a nice review.
Just like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: