May 22, 2018
There's a chapter in my upcoming book about something that
happened to me when I was 13. Don't get sad or nervous, it wasn't a
traumatic thing. Maybe it was a little traumatic, but you'll enjoy
reading about it. It reminded me of how hard it is to be 13. It's
hard being 11 to 18.
Today, I am talking to a 12-year-old. On this very day May 22,
2006 Remi Hope Radke came screaming into my world, and I haven't
had a moment of silence since. I couldn't imagine having a
different guest on my podcast today. Every May 22nd, Remi Hope
dominates our thoughts and our world, so there is no reason why
today should be any different.
You can find Melissa here:
- [01:45] Remi is growing up. I wonder if having a public mom
makes her life more difficult? Sometimes I feel like I'm making it
harder on her. Although, if I were she would let me
- [02:08] Today, I'm going to sit down with Remi and introduce
her to you.
- [02:19] Remi came to us through adoption. She came to us less
than five months after we buried our son. I cried out to God to
help me mend what was torn apart.
- [02:49] One day I was in the kitchen. Out of nowhere, I felt a
tender presence. It was like a compassionate reach. I heard the
words "everything you are in need of will come to you wrapped in a
- [03:08] This made no sense to me. How can everything I want
come in the form of a tiny baby?
- [03:26] Remi Hope came into my world. She was not a replacement
for Elisha. She was the cure for the broken and missing
- [03:59] She was an uncontrollable toddler in every single way.
We were called in to meet with every teacher at
every school.She was fulfilled of nonstop.
- [04:20] She's a little older and a little wiser now but no less
filled with life and humor.
- [04:26] Today, I'm talking to her about everything from
adoption to living in the public eye to boys.
- [04:48] Remi had her thoughts and doubts about being on the
- [05:13] Remi thinks the podcast could be a little better and
- [06:15] Remi is thinking about starting her own podcast. She
would try a food and give her opinion and then have guest opinions.
It would be like Remi's reviews but would be
called Remondade similar to lemonade.
- [08:00] Remi and Melissa share their knowledge about historical
energy sources and renewable and alternative energy. Geothermal,
solar, wind, biofuels, and hydroelectric.
- [10:40] Remi plays soccer, basketball, softball, and she wants
to play football. She's heading into the sixth grade and doing
- [11:24] She met her best friends Rashawna and Adeline
at church. She knew they would grow up together and be best
friends. She is a leader in kid works. Remi is great at memorizing
- [12:06] Remi she shares some of her favorite
- [13:31] Remi is healthy and loves fruits and vegetables and
- [14:15] Her favorite show is Deception, and her favorite movie
is Jurassic World.
- [15:58] Remi was about seven when she found out she was
adopted. She always wanted to watch Tarzan, and they would always
stop the movie and tell Remi that the gorillas were adopting
- [16:53] Remi is cool with the adoption. Melissa is really her
mom. Her mom was a very good sharer. Someday, Remi may want to meet
her birth mom, and that is okay.
- [17:51] Remi approves of the fun life they have and how Melissa
puts stuff out on the Internet.
- [19:00] She likes the fame. There is nothing she hates about
it. Our family has been talking about a reality show. They have
filmed three times. It's a lot of work. There is a whole household
- [20:02] Remi thinks it is fun. They are probably getting a TV
- [20:39] Melissa held Remi back because of her attitude, and she
repeated kindergarten. She was like a wild tornado unleashed on the
- [21:53] A lot of kids repeat kindergarten. She can let it go.
She is in the top of her class and two of her best friends are in
- [22:44] She's excited about going to middle school and choosing
where she sits.
- [24:00] Remi shares the stages of being
- [24:29] She is looking forward to church camp and some other
fun camps she goes to and has great friends there. She is also
going to the Texas A&M soccer camp. All while possible shooting
- [25:18] She would like to have a sleepover on her birthday in
the guest room with her friends.
- [25:57] She would like a horse for her birthday, but she'll
take the sleepover and a kiss. To start with.
- [26:16] Remi's lightning round.
- [28:27] Special thanks to Remi Hope Radke.
- [28:44] Hope has always been a part of your name. From
Melissa's book Eat Cake. Be Brave.
Thanks for joining us on Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be
sure to subscribe
to our podcast on iTunes and leave a nice review. Just
like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: