May 7, 2019
Making friends isn’t always that
easy. Especially, adult friendships. When you meet someone you
click with, hang on to them. When I was on my book tour in
Nashville, I met today’s guest. Annie F. Downs is a best-selling
author, nationally known speaker, and podcast host based in
Nashville. She is the host of the That Sounds Fun podcast and I was
a guest on that show. Our conversation was like two girlfriends
having a chat.
Today, we want you to be part of
our conversation. We have fun as we catch up on our latest pop
culture interests. We talk about how it’s good to open yourself up
to people who have different opinions and not to be closed off
about your beliefs. We talk about faith and communicating with God
and understanding how to recognize those nudges. We mostly talk
about life and friendship and invite you to go on the journey with
us. I also send out an invitation to take the time to meet someone
new or connect with an old friend.
- [04:29] Annie goes by Annie F.
Downs, because there's a famous Australian quilter named Annie
Downs. She does have an interest in finding all of the other Annie
Downs and maybe create a club or something.
- [15:04] Annie and Melissa loves
the same type of pop culture shows and have a great time talking
about their favorite people to follow.
- [15:13] Annie is following
Chris Pratt. He is open about his beliefs. She's also following Dax
Shepard and Debra Messing.
- [19:35] Melissa knows a lot of
the same people. She is hungry to expand her friendships and
- [20:39] You get an upfront view
of God pursuing people who aren't Christians.
- [21:21] in your leisure time is
great. Crocheting classes are a great place to meet
- [22:08] Annie hopes she's not
creating more Christian culture. She hopes she's helping people
find a way to live where they know God and enjoy life.
- [22:46] Melissa wanted to take
people to Jesus not take them to church.
- [23:02] There's a difference
between loving the church and investing in the church and loving
- [24:31] Annie wrestles with
living within the church and yet not creating something that's
unattractive to the non faithful.
- [27:09] Annie loves
- [28:33] Annie hears way more
people say that they are disappointed in God than people who are
hurt by people in the church.
- [28:46] This is where Annie's
book Remember God comes from. We need to teach people to look for
God in the midst of not having what they want.
- [30:38] Let's All Be Brave
stirred up a lot of emotions and pain in Annie. For her, the
writing wasn't the hardest, it was the aftermath of the
- [32:25] Annie didn't give the
readers a bow at the end. The whole theme of the book was God's
- [35:34] If we had everything we
wanted, we would still not be satisfied
- [36:05] There's a difference
between contentment and satisfaction.
- [40:11] We need to be able to
tell God the truth, even when we are angry.
- [40:55] The more we wrestle
with Him, he won't let go.
- [42:04] Annie shares how she
feels about God.
- [43:31] How God shows up when
Annie has her dark moments. Sometimes it's like a self-correction
idea that comes to her.
- [44:38] God in generous about
making his presence known.
- [45:34] Live by the nudge, and
you feel it more and more.
- [48:42] Melissa shares a story
where she was nudged to give a watch to someone who liked it. God
didn't want time to be an issue for her.
- [50:37] Melissa believes that
we do hear God, we don't always act on it, and we don't always
believe it but we do hear it.
- [51:21] Just two friends having
an honest conversation.
- [52:15] The three quick
- [58:04] Adult friendships are
hard, if you've been thinking about calling someone and making a
lunch date just do it.
Thanks for joining us on
Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be sure to
subscribe to our podcast on
iTunes and leave a nice
review. Just like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: