Jan 29, 2019
Sometimes when we see a funny
video that makes us laugh, we don't bother to take into account
that there is a real person behind that video. When we read a book,
sometimes we forget that a real person poured their heart and soul
into that book.
Some people think that I am in
the business of social media, or a speaker, or an author. I am
really in the business of people. The business of hearing their
stories and telling my story. I am in the business of convincing
people that their story is powerful and purposeful.
My guest today has a powerful
story. CA Miljavac is someone who I discovered by watching one of
her hilarious videos. I then got to know her and realized that
there is so much more to her than her fun videos. I learned that CA
stands for Carol Ann and that her story doesn’t match her
You can find CA here:
CA Miljavac on Facebook
CA Miljavac on Instagram
Enough: Standing Out When the World Begs You To Fit
Initial Viral Video
How have I been cleaning all day and NOTHING is
- [02:52] My friend CA Miljavac
is here today. CA's story doesn't match her videos.
- [03:08] Her videos are fun. Her
stories not so much.
- [03:30] In her first book, CA
shares how her childhood, her loss, and her grief shaped who she is
- [04:25] People have finally
gotten tired of how fake social media can be. Realness is now more
- [05:58] When CA made her video
dancing to Salt N Pepa, she had no idea it was going to go viral.
She built a social media following by accident.
- [07:19] A year prior to this,
CA had made a decision to give her life back to God. She had been
devastated by the loss of her niece to cancer.
- [07:48] CA has had several
viral videos since the first one. Her favorite video is her house
- [09:14] CA grew up in a tiny
town called Jasper, Alabama. She grew up in a trailer on the wrong
side of the tracks and humor was all she really had.
- [10:07] Her mom was a single
mom raising three kids. Her dad was an alcoholic who left when she
was 2 years old.
- [10:21] They started going to
church when she was 8 years old. She had already been through so
much including being molested.
- [10:44] She was rebellious and
resentful by this time.
- [11:30] Going to church also
made her mom become really strict.
- [11:54] CA thought it was
important that she put everything out there.
- [12:39] CA could also relate to
some of Melissa's experiences when she read her book.
- [13:50] Some people can get
defensive with forgiveness when you are taking away their hate and
- [14:37] CA what is a Beachbody
- [14:53] She thought her social
platform was health and fitness, but it turned out it was really
about her story.
- [17:58] CA started each chapter
of her book with a story from her childhood.
- [18:08] She went swimming and
jumped into the deep end when she knew she couldn't swim. As a
child, being molested made her feel like she was dirty.
- [18:37] She would entertain
people by being silly. It was a distraction for her.
- [19:06] If someone gets to know
you too well, they might discover the monsters you have in your
- [19:27] The centerpiece of CA's
book was about her niece's battle and ultimate loss from
- [19:39] This completely changed
everything for her. If CA would not have been so incredibly broken,
she never would have allowed got in the way that she
- [20:06] She was 8 months
pregnant, and she went to St Jude to visit her sister and her
- [20:28] When she got home all
of her feelings and emotions hit her.
- [20:41] She has her best
thoughts and prayers and conversations with God in her car in the
garage. She was bawling her eyes out and praying. Suddenly, the car
was filled with love and peace.
- [20:56] It dawned on her in
that moment that she was loved and that her niece was
- [21:39] The things that made
her feel like an outsider were actually the things she needed to be
the person that she is and fulfill her calling.
- [23:21] Our scars tell a
- [23:47] CA has taken her scars
and turned them into a powerful word for women.
- [25:31] CA wanted her book to
be a book that had the potential to truly change someone's future
- [26:37] CA's book is titled
Odd(ly) Enough. This book didn't come from her, it came from God.
She was just the messenger.
- [27:56] CA hopes that women
walk away from her book with an understanding of who they truly are
and how their trials and tribulations have given them character and
shaped who they are. God will use all of these bad things for your
- [29:20] CA is learning to ask
for help when she needs it, set boundaries, and believe that she
can do what God says she can do.
- [30:22] The enemy can't read
- [32:26] Thinking outside of the
box with the lightning round.
- [32:41] CA loves her
- [33:00] She is currently
binging on baking shows.
- [33:36] She doesn't understand
why ramen noodles taste so good.
Thanks for joining us on
Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be sure to
subscribe to our podcast on
iTunes and leave a nice
review. Just like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: