Jul 3, 2018
In honor of the Fourth of July, I want to talk about freedom.
I’m talking about the kind of freedom that happens to us, by us,
and in spite of us. I’m going to talk about the kind of
imprisonment that I brought on myself, but first an excerpt from my
upcoming book. Eat Cake. Be
I’ve been sharing excerpts that pertain to my podcasts. Today’s
was hard to choose. My book is a memoir of how all the years of my
life led up to my 41st year. This year changed me forever. Before
this point, I figuratively, spiritually, and mentally spent a lot
of time in prison. This excerpt is from the chapter entitled
All Inked up and No Place to Go.
You can find Melissa here:
- [02:04] Excerpt from Eat Cake. Be Brave. All Inked
Up and No Place to Go...
- [06:23] I have a shirt that I sell called Choose Your Own
Tattoo. People have no clue what the shirt means until they hear me
- [07:05] My prison was in physical it came in words. These words
they called me stuck.
- [09:05] The white noise that plays in the background of your
mind and your thoughts. The words that have been used against you
and have stuck.
- [10:16] What is the white noise that you hear day in and day
- [10:58] White noise becomes a protective barrier between sleep
and what is going on.
- [11:21] What plays over and over in your thought life becomes a
barrier from what is really going on.
- [11:31] What if what lied on the other side of the barrier was
- [12:22] It took a long time to get so tatted up, it's going to
take a long time to fix the issue.
- [12:45] It will take a long time to undo those thought
processes, but it can be done. I am living proof of that.
- [12:57] The first thing I did was open up my computer and type
out everything that God had said about me.
- [13:13] I printed 10 copies and pasted them around my
- [13:52] If you have a tattoo that is the opposite of what God
has said about you or your situation, one of those things is
untrue. Guess which one?
- [14:50] The devil isn't doing this to you. You are doing it to
- [15:22] God is available to you in books, podcasts, and copies
printed out at your desk.
- [15:42] Freedom isn't free. It takes work and diligence.
- [16:23] You are made in God's image, and there will be a time
when this reference just comes up.
- [17:06] When you hear yourself begin to say these things about
how you are a child of God, they will be ingrained in your
- [17:20] An excerpt from the Message Bible Second Corinthians 3:
- [18:42] Aren't you ready to live free and exchange your
- [19:24] What you are wanting is just within your grasp.The key
is right there and you can reach it.
- [19:35] Happy Fourth of July. Enjoy your freedom.
- [20:52] More from Eat Cake. Be Brave. All Inked Up and No
Place to Go...
Thanks for joining us on Ordinary People Ordinary Things. Be
subscribe to our podcast on iTunes and leave a nice review.
Just like your mother taught you.
Links and Resources: